Discover Scottish Afternoon Tea
With our free student competition
Explore the tradition of afternoon tea through our Afternoon Tea competition for hospitality and tourism students, with the Glasgow masters of Afternoon Tea – the Willow Tea Room Trust, who brought back to life the original Willow Tea Rooms from 1903 as Mackintosh at the Willow.
- Are you a teacher of hospitality, tourism or even English or marketing, looking for fun activities and learning materials for your students?
- Or are you a student looking for inspiration and a chance to test your creativity, while learning about another culture?
- Just really keen to learn more about afternoon tea in Glasgow? You’re welcome too!
If so, we have the opportunity for you!
Our wonderful host employers, Willow Tea Rooms Trust will be giving us an online presentation on the tradition of Afternoon Tea, and how this luxurious treat of sandwiches, scones and cakes (plus tea or coffee) has taken off as a treat for tourists and locals alike. Then we will introduce the competition for different types of students:
- Cooks and pastry chefs – design a full afternoon tea, including cakes, scones, and sandwiches
- Hospitality service – design the place setting for an afternoon tea, allowing for the serving of cakes, scones, sandwiches, teas and any other beverage
- Tourism (or Marketing or English) – create a short video, no longer than five minutes, promoting the tradition of Scottish afternoon tea to an international audience
How the competition will work
- We will introduce the competition with a half-hour presentation on zoom from Oliver, the Learning Officer at Willow Tea Rooms Trust on Monday, 23 January at 14.00 WET, 15.00 CET, 16.00 EET. (If you can’t make that time, just sign up and we’ll send you the replay.)
- Then the students will have until Saturday, 18 February to submit their designs or videos.
- The winners will be announced on Tuesday, 28 February
- Winners will be awarded with a selection of caddies of tea from the Mackintosh at the Willow shop, or vouchers for afternoon tea if they are planning to come to Glasgow. Winning videos and designs will also be shared on Willow Tea Rooms Trust social media.
- Teams and individuals are welcome to take part. Teachers can sign up for the Zoom presentation to watch as a class or can invite their students to register to watch on their own.
- We will also provide follow up materials for both promotion and learning opportunities.
Got a question, feel free to contact us.
And be sure to follow us on social media.